Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Mercurial Euphorbia Lambii



Choosing a favorite succulent or cactus is an impossible task. Too many to choose from, and like humans, there is something special about every single one of them - even the poisonous ones!
But somehow the Euphorbia Lambii and its variety of formations, crested and otherwise, has managed to draw my interest the most. The Euphorbia family has an insane array of peculiar and otherworldly specimens, most of which could be in my top ten, but for me, the Seussian Lambii reigns supreme!
Most of my Lambii(s) are on the younger side, and like young children (of the human variety) they are a lot cuter in the earlier years. But as they mature into majestic adults and then into seniors, WOW!
I don't know too much about this eccentric breed of succulent, but I'm really enjoying the learning process.

The above two photos are of the same crested Lambii. The top photo was taken recently (summer), and the bottom with it's winter coat, taken in March.

A profile shot of the same exquisite Lambii



This little lambii was my first, and holds a very special place in my heart.
Still quite young.




This gal looks a little nervous with that
pesky plicatilis peering down over her shoulder



The crested lambii is truly a unique individual. Not only because of the multitude of formations and mutations with their unruly flaps and curls and appendages, but also because of the metamorphosis that takes place each fall/winter as it grows a bushy new head of hair, instantly adding youth and vitality!

The same guy as old mop top above


PRAISE THE LORD!
I'm told that this little drama queen is a hermaphrodite





No comments:

Post a Comment